Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Joy's of Traveling for Work

Yes, I have not been good about posting lately but that is because I have been on the road (or should I say Jetway) continuously for the last couple of weeks. Work has me traveling all over lately and so I wanted to share with everyone some of the fun things/places that I have been! Two weeks ago I went to Washington DC to meet with our ACS CAN group.

(ACS CAN =American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network)

Mainly this group is made up of lobbyists and volunteers fighting to make a difference in each state, whether it be promoting Smoke Free initiatives or just trying to get the word out about different legislature that has effect on cancer patients, these individuals are working hard continuously!

Click on the link below to see more about this wonderful group!

ACS CAN

Of course while I was there we had to work a lot so there was not much site seeing.
(thankfully I have been there before, so I wasn't to sad I didn't get to go explore)

However, the office is located in downtown DC so we got to eat at some great restaurants while we were there :)

=======================================================================

This last weekend I flew to Philadelphia for the weekend to an ACS Bike A Thon! If you have never heard of this event that the American Cancer Society puts on, you have to go to the link below and check it out!

Bike A Thon

As of today, the event has raised over 1.2 million dollars and donations are still being excepted till August 31, 2010!

My job for this event is simply show up and audit it... yep that is right!
I just show up and walk around, ask some questions, and mainly enjoy the event!

The 66 mile leg of the event started at the Ben Franklin Bridge in downtown Philly and then ended in New Jersey. We got there bright and early (6 am) to see all the cyclists at the starting point and it was just a wonderful feeling to know that over 4,000 riders were there to raise money for ACS!
If you have never been to an ACS event, I will have to say the energy of the participants is one that truly touches your heart! I don't think there has been an event yet, that I have attended in which I do not shed a tear or two!

The thing that really caught my attention at this event was the amount of children that were participating. For a child as young as 6 or 7 years old to ride even the shortest distance which was 21.3 miles is admirable. More so, I think it really shows alot about parents when you see both them and their children participating in an event like this. I think it teaches the child to give back and to enjoy participating in events that are impacting others!

So to all the parents, friends, grandparents, etc. that had children riding with you this past weekend in the event.. I applaud you! Thank you for being a positive role model in a young ones life!

P.S. On a different note, I think this trip might have had the worst turbulence on a plane that I have ever experienced. Coming into OKC at 10 pm at night during a thunderstorm and lightening storm = not a good idea for someone that has anxiety over flying!
The stewardess literally came over the intercom and told us to put everything up, grasp/hold on to the seat and put our heads down that there was bad turbulence coming our way! Needless to say, I had a death grip on the chair and closed my eyes so tight tears could not escape! It ended up being pretty rough and I have never been so happy when we landed SAFELY on the ground! Oh and did I mention I think I was praying the entire time out loud! :)


======================================================================

For this week, I am in Ohio visiting our Division office!
Of course, my job LOVES booking us on early flights out (like 6 am or before) so I had to get up at 3 am yesterday morning in order to make the flight! But guess what... of course weather delays were all over so my 6 am flight ended up taking off at 7:45 and we had to sit on the plane for the entire hour or so before we got the all clear to take off! That of course made us miss our connecting flight and so I ended up taking three other flights to get to Ohio! Needless to say, I didn't get into Ohio until 5 pm yesterday instead of my scheduled 11 am arrival! Oh well, to me this is just the joys of traveling! It's uncontrollable and you just have to smile and enjoy the extra people watching time at the airport!

So that is about it for my travels as of right now for work!
Thankfully I think this might be my last trip for a couple of months!
AHHHH is all I can say to that!
Now I can hopefully get some pool time in and some much needed girls trips!

Hope everyone has a Great Wednesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails